We are delighted that Herbert Smith Freehills and partner Nikki Smythe have been recognised by Turnaround Management Association (TMA) in the global 2021 Turnaround/Transaction of the Year Awards for her work on the acquisition of Virgin Australia out of voluntary administration.
Herbert Smith Freehills joins Bain Capital, Clayton Utz, Deloitte, Houlihan Lokey, and KordaMentha, in winning this year’s International Company Turnaround/Transaction of the Year award.
The Herbert Smith Freehills team advised Bain Capital on all aspects of its acquisition of Virgin Australia, from bid through to completion and was central to the restructuring as the adviser to the buyer of Virgin Australia.
Led by Partners Nikki Smythe and Mark Clifton, the Herbert Smith Freehills team advising Bain Capital included:
- Partners Damien Hazard, Siva Subranamiam, Hayley Neilson, John Angus, Steven Catanzariti, Samuel Kohelmainen, Sarah Benbow, Peter G Butler, Drew Pearson, Jinny Chaimungkalanont, Andrew Cooke, Jane Hodder, Rodd Levy, Phillip McMahon, Melissa Swain-Tonkin, Kwok Tang, John Whiteoak and Gabrielle Wong;
- Special Counsels Julia Massarin, Natasha McHattan and Amalia Stone;
- Executive Counsels Marnie Fels and Adam Parkin;
- Senior Associates James Kirkpatrick, Li-Lian Yeo, Philip Aitken, Mian Ang, Emma Bryan, Kelvin Choy, Patrick Clark, Anthony Economou, Chelsea Fish, Lucinda Grant, Tamanna Islam, Lauren Jeffries, Jack McDonell, Catie Moore, Julia Orbach, Rommo Pandit, Emily Peverill, Phillip Smith, Amanda Teoh and Susannah Wilkinson, Associates Wan Ching Choy, Shi Yin Gan, Josephine Tang and James Telford;
- Solicitors Rob Allen, Nicole Begg, Nayan Bhathela, Nayan Bhathela, Jake Buckingham, Sarah Connolly, Joseph Dean, Darran Devlin, Heather Di Pietro, Angus Dick, Danielle Farrell, Nikki Flores, Jack Fogl, Betty Huang, Emily Mackay, Emily McRae, Amy Pereira, Emily Reyher, Georgia Roy, Katherine Sharp, Hasna Shiraz, Lachlan Sievert, Mungo Skyring, Caroline Talbert and Raul Vellani.
We congratulate the Herbert Smith Freehills team and the teams at the firms recognised as joint winners of this award.
Award winners will be honoured at the 2021 TMA Annual Conference in Nashville later this month.