Monday 7 September 2015, 12.30 – 1.30pm BST
With the Modi Government well into its second year, we review the economic, political and legal environment for foreign direct investment (FDI) into India. With some still calling for ‘big bang’ reforms to transform the investment landscape, others are hailing perceived incremental changes of policy and practice by a government apparatus still trying to shape itself to majority rule after decades of coalition and compromise.
Meanwhile, the larger Indian economy has continued to grow at more than 7% a year, making India the fastest-growing big economy in the world.
In this webinar, we are joined by Dr Gareth Price, Senior Research Fellow in the Asia Programme at the independent policy institute Chatham House based in London. Dr Price will consider the progress of economic reform in India and what it means for ongoing and future FDI.
He will be joined by Alan Montgomery, Head of Mergers & Acquisitions in the India Practice at Herbert Smith Freehills who will reflect on his ‘on the ground’ experiences of handling investment into India. Also speaking will be Nicholas Peacock, Head of the India International Arbitration Practice at Herbert Smith Freehills who will provide an update on enforcement and rule of law issues for inbound investors, including the challenges of negotiating the Indian court system, international arbitration, and the use of investment treaty protection.
The session will be moderated by Chris Parsons, the Chairman of Herbert Smith Freehills’ India Practice.
The webinar is part of our series of “Soundbite” webinars, which are designed to update clients and contacts on the latest developments without having to leave their desks. The webinars can be accessed “live”, with a facility to send in questions by e-mail, or can be downloaded as podcasts after the event. If you would like to register for a webinar, or to obtain a link to the archived version, please contact Prudence Heidemans. The webinars, both live and archived, also qualify for one CPD point.
Dr Gareth Price, Senior Research Fellow, Asia Programme, the Royal Institute of International Affairs, Chatham House, London
Alan Montgomery, Head of Mergers & Acquisitions, India Practice, Herbert Smith Freehills, London
Nicholas Peacock, Head of India International Arbitration Practice, Herbert Smith Freehills, London
Chris Parsons, Chairman of India Practice, Herbert Smith Freehills, London
What is a webinar?
A webinar is an online seminar delivered to your desktop. On the day of the webinar you will be sent a link to login to the live event.
- The webinar is recorded so you can listen again. If you are unable to listen to the live event, register anyway and you will be able to listen to the recorded version when convenient.
- CPD hours are available for events. Further guidance on how to claim CPD can be found on the attachments tab.
- Audio is available via your PC. Click here to see if your system supports live audio streaming.
- The webinar is interactive and we welcome questions from our audience. Email your comments to the speakers on the day using the appropriate tab on the player.
- Check the attachments tab for a PDF copy of the slides and other relevant material.One off registration – Register once to access any event. This will create your own account on BrightTALK, our webinar service provider. After registering you will gain access to a full programme of relevant events.
- … and the benefits to you
- Easier access to archived webinars – Each practice area channel holds full details of events held during the past year as well as forthcoming webinars.
- Add events to your calendar – When choosing a webinar there is now an option to add an appointment to your Outlook calendar. You can also manage your email alerts.
- Keep up-to-date with topics of emerging importance.
- Hear our experienced speakers from across our global network without leaving your office.