On Tuesday 4 July 2023, Herbert Smith Freehills Paris will be hosting a breakfast seminar organised by the LCIA European Council.
The Law Commission of England and Wales is continuing its review of the Arbitration Act 1996 to assess what recommendations (if any) should be made to the UK Government for reform. This seminar follows on from our first seminar held in June last year and will consider the latest developments and most recent consultation paper published by the Law Commission. It will provide an opportunity to investigate the proposed areas for reform, with each panellist addressing the dynamics of a unique aspect of the English Arbitration Act in discussion with their fellow panellists and the delegates.
The symposium will be held under the Chatham House Rule to facilitate an open and honest discussion. The language of the seminar will be English. Arbitrators, in-house counsel, practitioners, academics and members of the international business community will be in attendance.
The seminar will take place between 08:30 – 10:30 and proceed as follows:
08:30 – 09:00: Breakfast and Registration
09:00 – 09:15: Welcome and Introduction
09:15 – 10:30: Reform of the English Arbitration Act 1996: Updates to the proposed areas of reform, the French perspective, and their relevance to the world of International Arbitration
- Professor Dr Jacomijn van Haersolte-van Hof, Director General of the LCIA, and Member of the LCIA Court and Board
- Professor Dr Nathan Tamblyn, The Law Commission (England and Wales), London
- Andrew Cannon, Herbert Smith Freehills, London and Paris, and Officer of the LCIA European Users’ Council
- Emily Fox, Herbert Smith Freehills, Paris
- Carole Malinvaud, Gide Loyrette Nouel, Paris
- George Spalton KC, 4 New Square, London, and Officer of the LCIA European Users’ Council
Herbert Smith Freehills
66, avenue Marceau
There is no fee to attend. However, there are a limited number of places available which will be allocated on a first come first serve basis.
To register, please email email@example.com confirming your full name, position, and address.
For more information, please contact Andrew Cannon, Partner, Emily Fox, Of Counsel, or your usual Herbert Smith Freehills contact.