HSF is proud to support the work of Africa Construction Law (ACL) and will be participating in the West Africa sub-regional session of the ACL’s upcoming inaugural virtual conference, Africa Construction Law Week. The virtual conference will bring together experienced construction law professionals from across the continent (West, East, North, South, Francophone and Lusophone) to discuss the infrastructural challenges faced both across the continent and specific to each region.
The West Africa sub-regional session will take place over two days, with day one addressing transactional issues and day two focussing on dispute resolution in the West Africa region. The HSF team including James Doe, William Breeze and Hilary Lau are among the panellists who will discuss the trends, common risks and challenges arising at various stages of construction projects in the region.
Day 1: Transactional Module
13 April 2021 @ 11:00 BST / WAT
Keynote address: Recent developments in the West African construction market and what the future holds
Part 1: Contracting strategy and project finance
- Project procurement strategy and risk allocation – what works from a West African perspective
- Financing construction projects in West Africa – what makes a project bankable?
- Public Private Partnerships in West Africa – why do they often fail?
- Q&A with speakers
Part 2: Challenges of foreign participation
Panel discussion and Q&A: Challenges of foreign participation in West African construction projects including:
- What lessons can be learnt from Chinese sponsored projects?
- West African perspectives on Chinese sponsored projects
Day 2: Disputes Module
14 April 2021 @ 14:00 BST / WAT
Part 1: Claims Management and Dispute Avoidance
- Key trends in and common issues arising from construction claims and disputes in West Africa
- Delayed projects in sub-Saharan Africa – drivers of delay that are typical to the region
- Would the use of model contracts in the construction sector minimise disputes?
- Panel discussion and Q&A: Early dispute avoidance and resolution on West African construction projects
Part 2: Dispute Resolution and Enforcement
Panel discussion and Q&A: Dispute resolution and enforcement in the West Africa region including:
- Different forms of dispute resolution available and popular in the West Africa region
- Arbitration and the African construction industry – the trends, risks and opportunities
- Enforcement of decisions vs forms of ADR
- Difficulties with enforcement of ADR models
Click here to view the full programme of the West Africa sub-regional session.