Members of the HSF Brussels competition team have written a comprehensive summary of key recent EU merger control developments as a contribution to the latest edition of the highly-regarded Global Competition Review (GCR) EMEA Antitrust Review.
The chapter covers key procedural, jurisdictional and substantive merger control developments from June 2019 to April 2020, including:
- jurisdictional issues relating to Brexit and the operation of the EU and UK merger control regimes during and after the transition period;
- the European Commission’s tough stance against procedural infringements of the EU Merger Regulation;
- the ongoing debate on “European Champions” and the European Commission’s response to the presence of third country state-owned companies in the EU;
- the updated foreign direct investment regime;
- the European Commission’s evaluation of the Market Definition Notice;
- key themes regarding digital mergers; and
- the impact of Covid-19 on EU merger regulation.
The chapter is now available to access online here. Please do contact any of the authors or your usual HSF competition contact if you’d like to discuss any of the topics covered in more detail.
This is an extract from GCR’s Europe, Middle East And Africa Antitrust Review 2021, first published in July 2020. The whole publication is available at: https://globalcompetitionreview.com/edition/1001515/europe-middle-east-and-africa-antitrust-review-2021