Welcome to the home page for our series of short guides to class actions in England and Wales.
Each edition comprises a one-page interactive PDF with links to more detailed information on the topic. Click on the name of the guide below to open the interactive PDFs for each edition. The linked pages are kept up-to-date with relevant developments (with the date of the last update shown at the bottom of each page) so in some cases these contain more recent information than the date of the PDF guide would suggest.
- Issue 6: Competition class actions, December 2020
- Issue 5: Insurance issues in class actions, October 2019
- Issue 4: Shareholder class actions, March 2019
- Issue 3: Data breach class actions, December 2018
- Issue 2: Group Litigation Orders, November 2018
- Issue 1: Overview of class actions in the English courts, November 2018
There is also a webinar series which covers similar topics to the guides. You can register to access these by contacting email@example.com. The full list of webinars is as follows:
- 16 December 2020: Competition class actions
- 9 December 2019: Shareholder actions – The Lloyds/HBOS litigation
- 16 October 2019: Insurance issues in class actions
- 13 March 2019: Shareholder class actions
- 11 December 2018: Data breach class actions
- 8 November 2018: Class actions in England and Wales: Taking stock
This page will be updated with future guides and webinars as they are released.
In addition, the March 2021 edition of our Future of Consumer series looks at key areas of class action risk that businesses in the Consumer sector are facing across key jurisdictions of the UK, the US, and Australia, including: product liability and consumer law; supply-chain issues; data and privacy; employment class actions; and securities class actions. It also examines key mitigating steps that businesses can take to protect themselves against the risks of exposure to such class actions and costly and reputation-damaging campaigns.
For an in-depth discussion of how class actions are litigated in the English courts, see our textbook Class Actions in England and Wales, written by leading lawyers from Herbert Smith Freehills and published by Sweet & Maxwell in June 2018. Click here to read more about the publication.