Global mining team
Focus on commercial outcomes
Herbert Smith Freehills is well known for advising on some of the most complex and strategic transactions in in the world. We are focused on ensuring strong commercial outcomes.
We maintain our focus on achieving our clients’ objectives. We understand that with the scale and timeframes of investment in the mining industry, you need us to be looking ahead, helping you to plan for future developments in the regulatory and business environment as these affect the industry.
Clients tell us they value the perspective we bring to their businesses. As we work with clients of all sizes, in many geographical regions and at various stages of development – we are keen to share our insights with you: to help you to make connections you may not have seen, or to identify a new opportunity within your business.
Experience across the business of mining – Pit to port
Our dedicated global mining team covers every aspect of the industry and every stage of the project life cycle. Whether you are large or small we can advise you from exploration and approvals, through financing, mine development and construction, process plants, productivity, port, rail, water, shipping and mine closure. Our credentials demonstrate that we have an unmatched sector and commodity breadth and depth. Our transactional experience in the mining sector is extensive across every major commodity and base metal sector. Our experience does extend well beyond transactions – our lawyers know all parts of the resources business:
- tenements, land access (including native title), environmental permitting and licence to mine;
- exploration and production joint ventures and offtakes;
- infrastructure capacity contracting and site service delivery (including rail, port, pipelines and power);
- mine construction, contract mining and other specialist works arrangements, and a team dedicated to resolving contractor disputes;
- mine financing arrangements, corporate funding for miners of all sizes and industry specific structures such as pre-pays, streaming, VPP facilities and convertible instruments;
- industrial relations with partners dedicated to the resources sector;
- a team dedicated to OHS, crisis management and incident response; and
- disputes lawyers who only work in the mining sector, including on construction disputes, BCIPA claims and joint ventures.