If you would like to view the recording of this webinar please contact Jane Webber.
Recording: – Originally broadcast Monday 19 November 2018
Following a UK Cabinet meeting on Wednesday 14 November the UK Government has announced support for the text of a draft Withdrawal Agreement agreed with EU negotiators. This is the agreement setting out the arrangements for the UK’s withdrawal from the EU on 29 March 2019 and includes a transition period following the date of the UK’s EU exit through to 31 December 2020, during which EU law will continue to apply in and to the UK.
We hosted a webinar to discuss:
- key aspects of the Withdrawal Agreement, including in relation to the UK-wide backstop to deal with the Irish border issues;
- what the summary of the political declaration tells us about prospects for future UK/EU free trade arrangements;
- the political obstacles to a deal.
Our Brexit Director, Paul Butcher, was joined by:
- Oliver Lewis, Director, Hanbury Strategy. Oliver is one of the leaders of Hanbury’s Brexit team. He has previously worked with the then Education Secretary Michael Gove as well as advised Cabinet Ministers on a range of policy issues.
- Eric White, Consultant, Herbert Smith Freehills. Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills Eric was a member of the European Commission’s Legal Service between 1985 and 2016, where he led the Trade Policy and WTO team.
- Katherine Dillon, Of Counsel, Herbert Smith Freehills. Katherine is aspecialist in UK and EU financial services law and regulation with extensive experience of advising financial sector clients on the implications of Brexit.