One year on from the introduction of new ESG requirements for UK pension schemes, we interview Ashley Hamilton-Claxton, Head of Responsible Investment at Royal London Asset Management, in our latest pensions podcast to find out what impact this is having on the way pension schemes and asset managers assess and manage ESG risks. We also discuss the new requirement for schemes to prepare an implementation statement on voting, engagement and (for DC schemes) ESG risks, which applies from today and the DWP’s latest consultation on introducing additional requirements, initially for the largest schemes, to address climate-related risks.
In this podcast, Ashley shares her:
- views on how pension schemes and asset managers are responding to recent legal and regulatory changes relating to pensions and ESG
- insights on how attitudes to ESG risks are being affected by Covid-19
- tips on how trustees should go about preparing their new investment implementation statements
- expectations for how this area is likely to develop in the coming years, and
- thoughts on what the DWP’s proposed new requirements regarding climate-relate risks would mean for trustees and asset managers.
This podcast builds on the report that we published with Royal London last September on ‘Pensions and ESG – The evolving legal and regulatory landscape’.
To find out more about the new requirements relating to pensions and ESG risks and the DWP’s latest proposals contact your usual HSF adviser or speak to a member of our pensions team.