This article was first published on Lexis®PSL Property on 24 January 2019.
Fiona Sawyer, professional support lawyer in the planning team at Herbert Smith Freehills LLP, and Frances Edwards, senior associate and specialist real estate litigator at the firm, point out that although the government’s ‘open doors’ scheme will certainly help reinstate the high street as a destination for the community, the reality is that town centre rents need to be cheaper and action taken to ameliorate the cost of business rates to enable community uses to occupy town centre premises on a longer-term basis.
- What is the open doors pilot scheme, and what does it entail?
- What issues does the scheme intend to tackle?
- What is the expected impact of this on the property market, as well as for retailers?
- Does the scheme go far enough, or can more be done? Is there anything missing from the scheme?
- What other plans does the government have for further engagement in this area?