Following a wide-spread inquiry, the Digital, Cultural, Media and Sports Committee (DCMS) published a report which has called for a complete reset of the music streaming market. The proposed reform of legislation and regulation is aimed at addressing the:
- ‘pitiful returns’ that creators receive from streaming;
- disparity in power between creators and companies;
- major music companies unfairly dominating the music streaming industry;
- lack of regulation around streaming, such as playlist algorithms; and
- lack of transparency in the industry.